Culture Next’s 11th Conference Leeuwarden, the Netherlands is coming soon. Here we go!
We invite everyone to save the dates 22-24 November 2023 for Culture Next’s 11th Conference, organised in partnership with Arcadia (legacy Leeuwarden – Friesland 2018).
Themes of this Conference:
1. What does an ECoC (or large scale cultural event) do to your city and region?
2. Mienskip*: Really? What? Why?
*Mienskip = community, but a bit different | participation, but slightly different. We will explain!
Leeuwarden Registrations are open until October 30. Registration link below.
Before we publish the full programme, please find bellow some useful information so you can start organising your travel.
The 22th of November, Wednesday, will be fully reserved the SDG Thing Workshop for participating members. We need a full day for the workshop (09:00 – 16:00), so please make sure you arrive the day before to be on time. The extra hotel night is covered from the CN Budget for all the participants. The Board and Executive Team of Culture Next will also take part in the workshop. From 5pm welcoming drinks and dinner, as the conference delegates arrive in town.
The 23th of November, Thursday, will have a more external focus: meeting the locals (cultural, political), workshop (how to mienskip, how to legacy, etc), visits, interesting and inspiring guest speakers. Focus here is on the themes of this conference. A lot of local cultural people will be around to pitch or be pitched at, expanding your en our network. And probably a trip to the countryside as well to meet some really good community projects. And of course a swim and a beer or two. Day programme starts at 09:00 with a welcome coffee.
The 24th of November, Friday, is a more Culture Next internal day: focus on the Culture Next projects (Mobility Programme, SDG Thing, Thematic Working Groups, ECoC Therapy Sessions), but also talks and walks. Day programme starts at 09:30 with a coffee and ends at 16:00. In the evening (for those who’re still around): after dinner we will join the opening of the Explore the North Festival (explore-the-north.nl). This festival started during our preparation of the ECoC, as part of our programme and is still going strong. It will be one for the weekend, so please stay a bit longer! We will make sure you all get tickets.
Note: although the organisation is only paying for the nights of the 22th and 23th of November (Wednesday and Thursday), we encourage everyone to stay the night of the 24th (friday). Because you certainly won’t want to miss the festival!
The hotel is located in the centre of Leeuwarden.
We will provide additional information about the hotel as soon as possible.
The organisation will ensure the following:
- For Full members: 2 nights hotel accommodation in singles rooms for 2 people. The nights will be 22 and 23 November and cannot be changed. For extra nights you should make your reservations directly.
- For Observing members and non-members: you should make your reservations directly with the hotel. There is no obligation to stay at this hotel, but we recommend it and encourage it.
- For extra nights, the booking should be done by you directly with the hotel so you can make the necessary payment arrangements. More information in the next mailings!
We are preparing a programme that will be mostly within walking distance of this hotel. Some transport may be necessary in very specific situations but the organisation will provide it to all participants (full, observing and non-members).
TRAVEL TO LEEUWARDEN
The easiest way to Leeuwarden is by car or by plane & train. There’s a direct train between Schiphol Airport and Leeuwarden train station (www.ns.nl). In Leeuwarden everything is within walking distance, but we also have taxis (no ubers). More information on travel will be provided later.
PAYMENT AND BENEFITS
- Full members: the organisation assumes the payment of travel cost for 2 people (through a reimbursement request) up to a maximum of 150€ per person + two hotel nights (22 and 23 November) + meals on 22 and 23 November + conference registration for 2 members.
- Observing members: the organisation will pay for meals on 22 and 23 November + conference registration for 2 members.
- Non-members: each participant from non-member cities should pay a fee of 250€ per person and will be entitled to conference attendance and meals on 22 and 23 November. This fee should be paid directly to our Leeuwarden partner Arcadia. If you are a non-member and you just registered, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org asking for an invoice. Please send the data for the invoice (name; address; fiscal number; email address)
Cities that are in the process of moving from Observing Members to Full Members can already access the benefits of Full membership at this conference as long as there is agreement on the contract between the city or organisation representing it and the Cluj Cultural Centre. To clarify this, please contact Bruno Inácio at email@example.com.
Website Arcadia https://arcadia.frl/
Things To See & Do https://www.friesland.nl/nl
Places To Eat & Drink https://www.friesland.nl/en/plan/eating-drinking
City Guide and city Map https://www.visitleeuwarden.com/nl/plannen/citymap
HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR PREVIOUS CONFERENCE TOGETHER
REGISTER FOR LEEUWARDEN BEFORE 30 OCTOBER